Thursday, September 25, 2008

Tis the Season.......for sinus infections....


I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a horrible sinus headache. The sore throat went away as the day progressed, but the headache is worse. I always seem to be plagued with sinus infections this time of year. I really hate that.

However, feeling like someone has hit me in the face with a baseball has not kept me from experimenting. : ) Tonight we decided to try to make some homemade granola bars. We used a recipe I found on Allrecipes. We used 1/2 a cup of dried mango and 1/2 cup of dried coconut instead of 3/4 cup of raisins. I started to cut it while it was still hot, but decided it was too early. (I just wanted to try them!) I know they were really yummy before they were cooked!
Oh, I almost forgot. I stopped and bought a behavioral reward chart on my way home from work tonight at a local school supply store. After I got home I sat down with April and we set up some chores and expectations together. Out of a possible 9 stars for today she has 4 so far with the possiblity of another 2 or 3 before the night is over.
Tip of the day: When shopping for groceries see if your grocery store has bulk bins. They are a great place to pick up those items that you may only need a cup or two of. For example: I was looking for couscous at our local Hy-vee and found it for almost $3 for a 12 oz box. I decided to check out the bulk bins (located in the health food section) and found it for $1.29 for 16 oz. I only needed 1 cup for a recipe, so my couscous cost me less than $0.45. It may not have any seasonings, but then you can season it exactly to your taste. They are a great place for picking up oatmeal, granola, dried fruits, flax seed, wheat germ, etc. It's far better than paying for a box of something that you'll never use before it goes bad!

No comments: