Monday, September 8, 2008

God, please grant me patience

So I'm having one of those days. You know the kind, where everyone wants a piece of you and your trying to accomplish something and absolutely nothing is going your way. Yeah, one of those days. The day honestly started out good enough. Work was great. Then I came home....

To start let me explain that we finally splurged and bought a new computer about 3-4 weeks ago. We then decided to get DSL internet instead of the crappy dial-up we've been living with for years. To get a discount we decided to go with a package deal from Qwest. They were supposed to be here on August 28th to do the installation. They showed up that day and apparently some moron wrote the ticket up wrong because they now had us down to keep our current phone number and continue to have it through the other carrier, then add another phone line and the DSL. Okay, why would we do that???? We DON'T NEED 2 LINES with DSL. So I correct them and say that we wanted to change our current number over to Qwest and get DSL, no second line. Apparently they can't do that without opening a new ticket, which means we can't get DSL till September 8th. Grrrrrrrrrrrr....... So today comes. I get home from work and proceed to do the installation, etc and have NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!!! I have been on the phone with tech support for over 3 hours - on and off, not constant. Finally it seems it's working correctly. We'll see. If not I guess someone at Qwest is going to be getting a computer shoved up their rear. I'm sure there are really great support people there, I just don't know that I had the opportunity to speak with any of them during the 5 million times tonight that I called.

To top it off, while I am dealing with all the computer drama my dear daughter keeps hounding me and screaming for me to HOLD HER. Ugh! Not that I didn't want to hold her, but I was so angry at the computer and obsessed by this point with finishing it that nothing was going to interrupt me.

And this brings me to today's tip: If you are getting a new computer and switching to DSL get a technician to do it. The only thing is that someone will need to be home for the technician to come in and do the install. Trust me, it's not worth the aggravation to do it yourself. If I had known what a headache this was going to be that's exactly what I would have done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know those days very well. =) Qwest is one reason we went with cable internet when we had a house. LOL! I hope everything is working now and you have no difficulties.