Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine's Day for the frugal

This year I get to help with April's party at school. I am so excited to be a part of this. April decided she'd like to make Valentine's Day bookmarks for the kids in her class. I gathered all the items after supper for us to make these; however she fell asleep and I am now waiting for her to wake up so we can make them. I will post a picture later of a finished one. : )

Layne and I don't really do much to celebrate Valentine's Day. It really is a bit of a gimmick and is an invented holiday to get consumers to spend money. This year I did decide to pick up a little something for Layne, nothing extravagant though. I wanted to get him something that he would actually enjoy, not something typical of Valentine's Day. Since Layne likes to exercise I bought him an assortment of different health bars, a package of new t-shirts (which he desperately needed!), and a 4-pack of energy drinks. I put the items in a gift bag that we already had at home and I will make him a card. I spent about $15 total for his gift and I know it is something he will use and love. He likes the bars and drinks but doesn't like to buy them because they are a bit spendy. I think it will be a nice surprise. (He doesn't read my blog, so my secret is safe. Of course he probably will read it since I posted something I don't want him to read!)

If you are into buying the stuffed animals and chocolates a great place to go is a dollar store. We have a Dollar Tree about a mile from our house that has the cutest stuffed animals and a lot of the same chocolate candies as they have in the Walmart Valentines section.

Another great idea is to make some homemade coupons to giveaway. Great suggestions for coupons could include: a car wash, the recipients favorite homemade meal, a movie rental, baked cookies or cake, babyitting services - you get the idea.

Now go create a Valentine for that special someone frugally!!

No comments: