Monday, February 16, 2009

Cream Soup for the Frugal

I don't know about you guys, but I like to use cream soups in recipes on occasion. However I don't like the price of the cans of soup. Sometimes I can find them on sale for a decent price, but sometimes they are over $1 per can. A few years ago I came across this recipe for Homemade Cream Soup that works great and is super cheap.

Homemade Cream Soup
2 cups powdered milk
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup chicken bouillon granules
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix ingredients well and store in an airtight container. (contents equal 9 cans of cream soup)

To use in a recipe instead of cream soup: Combine 1/3 cup of dry mix with 1 1/4 cup of cold water in a small saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Add to casseroles or other recipes like you would a can of any type of cream soup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, passed it along to DH (the Cook). I imagine you could leave out the chicken and when you use it add potato flakes, mushrooms, broccoli, celery or whatever other flavor cream soup you want, too.