Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Makeup


This weekend I splurged a little and bought some new foundation. And I’m not talking about the $5 a bottle junk at Wal-Mart. I’m talking about the $17 a bottle American Beauty line at Kohl’s. Let me tell you – it was worth every penny! I love the stuff, it covers so nicely but it doesn’t even feel like you have anything on your face. I did mess up a get a shade darker than I should have, but since we’ll be spending a lot of time outside with summer coming up I suppose it was wiser to get the darker shade.

What do I do to make the darker shade work for me? I mix it with my moisturizer. It helps tone the color down a little and makes it easier to blend. And another bonus is that it actually stretches my foundation so I am able to make it last longer.

So that got me to thinking…what other products that we use for purposes other than what they are actually marketed for or designed for?? Or what routines do we have that help stretch the life of the products we use??

I use conditioner to shave my legs. I buy the biggest cheapest bottle of conditioner (usually at the Dollar Tree where everything is $1) and use it for months.

If I am coloring my hair I will use a plastic grocery sack and tie it around the top of my head to keep the color from getting on anything. It works great and the bag is free!

My husband I share deodorant. He actually prefers the coverage that is in women’s deodorant. (Don’t tell him I told you!!) It makes it easy for me to know if we need to buy more.

I also sign up for samples of all the personal hygiene products I can get. (A great site for samples is http://www.mysavings.com/) You’d be amazed at how many offers are out there! It gives me a chance to try a new product without buying it. If the sample is for a product that I’ve tried before I will just save it to use when we go camping or away for a weekend – then I don’t have to buy those expensive little containers of shampoo (or other products) and I don’t have to cram big bottles of hygiene products in my bags!

No comments: