Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Crockpot Meals

One of the kitchen appliances that I really should use more often is my crock pot. It truly makes food taste wonderful with little effort and you can use it to make most anything. I was having an email conversation with one of my friends today and we were discussing how we really should make more use of our crockpot. It can make ordinary ingredients taste like something special. And the meals are ready when you get home from work - no more having to spend 30-60 minutes cooking each night!

Yesterday I knew my dad and youngest (half) brother were going to be stopping by. My dad lives by himself and probably doesn't cook "meals" frequently. My brother lives with his mom who is absolutely worthless in the kitchen - and that's being nice. Seriously. The only thing she's good at is reproducing and ............ okay, nevermind. ANYWAY, they never get real meals so when they are stopping by I like to have a home-cooked meal for them. Yesterday we had boneless, skinless chicken breasts; potatoes; and carrots in the crock pot - we also had some frozen corn and breadsticks. The meal honestly took me about 10 minutes of actual work before I left for my job in the morning. When I got home from work everything but the corn and breadsticks were ready. You have to love a meal like that!

So I am curious ................. what are you're "go-to" crock pot meals? What do you throw in there at the last minute when you're desparate and don't want to spend a lot of time cooking?

No comments: