Sunday, September 13, 2009

Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes

One thing that I look forward to at summer each year are the tomatoes. We don't have room for a real garden, so we just plant a couple cherry tomato and jalapeno plants each year. Last year we didn't get much of anything out of our garden. This year the plants have been going crazy - I guess making up for last year. : )

The thing about cherry tomatoes is that other than putting them in salads and eating them straight there's not much to do. Since they are small it's a pain to bother canning them - unless you don't mind leaving the skins on or if you have just tons of time to kill by peeling skins. Well neither of those apply to me. So I decided to half them, scoop out the pulp (which was still a lot of work!), drizzled with a little oil and some seasonings; then I placed them on our dehydrator for a few hours. Yum!! They are so sweet and so good! After they seemed dried enough I placed them in an airtight container and put in the fridge. I guess I'm not real sure how they should be stored or how long they will last - but I don't think they'll make it more than a couple days before we've eaten them all anyway.
By the way, I took pictures with my phone (camera was dead) and the picture really didn't come out well at all. Sorry!!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

That sounds SO YUMMY!!!