Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Something to think about....

Today I had an appointment with my gynecologist. I went (I thought) with the mindset that enough is enough and was prepared for the worst. I can’t go on having the problems that I have much longer. I’ve surgery twice in an 8-year period for endometriosis. I’m bleeding almost constantly & having cramps almost daily (for short periods of time).

So here are my options according to my gyno:

Option 1) Novasure – a procedure that basically cauterizes your uterus. It’s a procedure that takes less than 15 minutes in total. You still get periods, but they are supposed to be significantly lighter. But it leaves you unable to have children.

Option 2) Adiana – a procedure that places a small silicone piece in your fallopian tubes causing the tissue to grow around it and block the tubes. Has the same result as a tubal ligation without actually having surgery. Will possibly help make periods lighter.

Option 3) Laparoscopic Hysterectomy – they would take only my uterus, leaving my ovaries for hormone purposes.

I went there today thinking I was prepared to hear this. Guess I was wrong. Even though I know I shouldn’t have another child because of the meds I’m on and because of how horrible my pregnancy was with April. But it doesn’t stop my heart or arms from aching. I guess I wasn’t as prepared as I thought I was. It’s a big decision. You can bet I’ll be praying about this before I make my decision.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liz, I'm so sorry you have to make this decision at all. It must be very difficult, and living in pain every day makes life really hard. I will pray for God to give you the peace and wisdom you need to make the right choice.

Liz said...

Thanks, Heather. I guess since I was kind of expecting this it's probably better than if I had been surprised by it. I know that God will help deal with it and will see me through it. Sometimes it's hard to understand his plan, but I know He has a reason for everything that happens.