Monday, November 17, 2008

Please let it be mine!!!!

Tonight after work Layne and I took April to her allergy doctor appointment. It was pretty uneventful, just a follow-up. Afterwards we came directly home. When I walked through the door I took my coat off and saw a Fedex overnight envelope on the dining room table for me. I wasn't expecting anything, but I opened it and pulled out ....................a check - for quite a significant amount of money. I really hope for some reason it truly is supposed to be mine - we could really use it right now to pay off medical bills. Although I find it hard to believe that it could really be mine when I really didn't know anything about it. I'll keep you all posted.

After supper I made a recipe I found a month or so ago on The Grocery Cart Challenge blog. The recipe is for Lentil Snacks. Now I have to admit that I really like lentils, so I had to try this recipe. All I can say is YUM! I was so surprised by the texture and the way the seasoning settled onto the lentils. They kind of pop in your mouth - my daughter even said these were awesome - but a little spicy. I did actually double the spices for the recipe. They are definitely something I plan on making again. Here's what they look like (although honestly the picture doesn't look that good!):

Today's tip: Need a fun, frugal Christmas idea for that hard-to-buy-for person? I have the perfecct idea - actually my Aunt Connie forwarded this idea to me in an email - so I really can't take any credit - although it does sound like something I would come up with. (See a quick story below the instructions at the bottom of the page). It's a very economical solution that anybody would love to receive. They are affordable and you can customize them for that special person! I

How to make bedroom slippers out of maxi pads: You need four maxi pads to make a pair. Two of them get laid out flat, for the foot part. The other two wrap around the toe area to form the top. Tape or glue each side of the top pieces to the bottom of the foot part. Decorate the tops with whatever you desire, silk flowers (this is most aesthetically appealing), etc. These slippers are: * Soft and Hygienic * Non-slip grip strips on the soles * Built in deodorant feature keeps feet smelling fresh * No more bending over to mop up spills * Disposable and biodegradable * Environmentally safe * Three convenient sizes: (1.) Regular, (2.) Light and (3.) Get out the Sand Bags.

Okay - so the story about the maxi pad.... When I was 17 my cousins (Jessica, Monica, & Brook) & I went to Pelican Rapids, MN for a week to stay with our grandparents. It was a yearly tradition for us for as long as I could remember. Every year before one of the aunts would drive us up and stay with us. This particular year Jessica & I had both had our drivers licenses so we followed Grandma & Grandpa up there. Anyway on the way back home it was SO HOT that we had to have the air conditioning on full blast in the car. I was driving and had no socks or shoes, other than flip-flops to wear. With the air going full blast and blowing on my feet I thought they were going to fall off cause they were so cold, but if we turned the air down we were dying from the heat. One of us girls happened to have a maxi pad so I peeled it off and stuck it on the top of my foot to shield it from the cold air - it worked like a charm! Just remember to peel it off before walking into any gas stations - cause you will get strange looks..... trust me.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

LOL!! Love the idea! That would make a great "White Elephant Exchange" gift!!!